Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hygge

Ever since I had a professor talk about it in one of my classes at Purdue this past year, I've been in love with the idea of "hygge." Its a Danish word that doesn't really translate into the English vocabulary. The word "cosiness" has most often been used to describe it, but that alone really doesn't do the idea justice. Here is one of the better definitions that I have come across on the web:

"The Danish word Hygge (hu-gah) is a feeling or mood that comes from taking genuine pleasure in making ordinary everyday things simply extraordinary. It's about owning things you only truly love or that inspire, being present in yourself and your life, putting effort into your home without being Martha Stewart or buying a bed in a bag. Words like cosiness, security, familiarity, comfort, reassurance, fellowship, simpleness and living well are often used to describe the idea of Hygge."

Why did I decide to name my blog "Finding Hygge" you ask? Well, I have created this blog primarily for my support team to follow up with how things are going with the Epic Church plant and my ministry with the church. My goal in this church plant is to not just help unbelievers find Christ, but to also help them find hygge. As a church, Epic is dedicated to reaching out and serving the community. We have partnered with a few different local churches to serve the community by repairing or rebuilding two different houses in the lower-income areas of Mishawaka. Pictures from one of the service days can be seen here!

It is my hope that we all strive to find our own hygge in our every day lives. I pray that the launch team of Epic, our future members, as well as the surrounding community will find it through this church. The book "Jim and Casper Go to Church" takes note of one church in particular in which I think really nail the idea of hygge. They said of the church that: "They're not trying to get you to join them, so much as they're trying to join you." It is my hope that our church really works to join in the lives of the people of the community, helping them to not just find Christ, but to also find cosiness, comfort, fellowship, and familiarity. And to help them find hygge.

No comments:

Post a Comment