Saturday, February 27, 2010

What if...

I'm going to hit on a pretty touchy subject in this post, so bear with me.

So apart from my work at the church plant, I also work part time at the Big and Tall Outlet in Elkhart. Recently a homosexual male couple came into the store and purchased some clothing. They were very friendly and made some nice conversation with me and some of the other customers in the checkout line.

After they were gone, a co-worker (an openly Christian co-worker, mind you) said over the walkie talkie, "Josh, you see that couple? Don't even get me started on them. That is gross and disgusting."

This got me to thinking. Why is that the first reaction she would have? If we are to be loving and compassionate towards people, just as Christ was, why would she be disgusted with these people? Sure, the act of homosexuality is gross and sinful. But in reality, a lot of times the reason men turn to homosexuality is because they were repeatedly abused sexually early on in their lives. Many times from their own family members, such as a father or a brother. Understanding this, it isn't disgust that I feel for these men... its sorrow, pain, and heartbreak. I think this is the feeling Christ would have had. Sorrow that these men are lost. Pain and heartbreak that they didn't have a loving and responsible father in their lives, so they are taking comfort in another man, instead of taking solace in their heavenly Father.

It is a broken world that we live in. I wonder if these men's lives would be different if they were in a different family situation. If maybe they didn't have that sexually abusive family member. When I see these men, I can only think, "What if..."

It is our duty to love, not to judge. Because Christ's death smeared blood or their doorposts, just as much as ours.


Blessings,
Josh

1 comment:

  1. I would be very disturbed by a fellow believer making that comment. My reason for being disturbed is that we are called to love everyone and reach out to all in the name of Christ. Isn't all sin gross?

    ReplyDelete